Friday, November 7, 2008

I made it!

I have arrived in Tokyo! After twenty hours of flying through three cities, my plane touched down at the Tokyo Narita International airport last night at nine PM local time. After working my way through Immigration and dealing with a lost bag, my uncle Nate located me and we took the bus into Tokyo. Talk about sensory overload. I was overwhelmed with the sheer enormity of things! After hurtling through the streets of Tokyo at I'm sure at least 400 MPH, we arrived at Shinjuku station. Shinjuku is the largest train station in Tokyo and there were people everywhere. I guess it was hardly busy because my uncle told me it wasn't full at all. I'm so excited to get in the midst of things. We went to a Mcdonald's near Shinjuku that was on the fourth floor of a building. It was sweet! Now I know why people call big cities, "Concrete Jungles." It is a fitting description. We walked through canyons of buildings decorated by millions of dollars of ads. Space is precious here in Tokyo, and seeing a piece of wall without an ad on it is a rare occurrence. We made our way through the checkerboard of suited businessmen into the actual station. We boarded our train along with every other living soul in the city and went one stop to the Yoyogi station. The station is right in our neighborhood and it's about a ten minute walk to the house. The neighborhood is just gorgeous. After crashing that night, I woke up this morning at about 10. We ate breakfast and then I took "I" and "N" to the park. What a cool park! There were a whole bunch of baseball players which surprised me. We played soccer on a sand lot surrounded by huge trees and really cool play equipment.


I'm just so excited to be here! I'm off on my next adventure so I'm signing off until then.
Peace
jared

6 comments:

Sean said...

i'm really glad you are doing this blog jared, you pictures are really cool.

HCP said...

I am so glad you made it!!!!!! and i am so glad that you are stupendiouslyesthty happy!!!!! love ya to death!

Kaelie said...

You are the coolest person ever! Love ya!

Hannah's Assistant said...

Keep adding... Want to hear more from you. Some of us have to live vicariously through others you know.

Aubrey said...

Dude. you don't even know how bloody excited i was to hear about your blog. I shall read it every day. It sounds like you are having a blast and I AM SO FREAKING JEALOUS!! but i'm stoked and can't wait to hear more!!

Jonathan said...

Glad you got there safe and sound. I got this email from Maarja about your blog. I'll visit often