Thursday, December 4, 2008

Ameyoko & Ueno


During WWII, Ameyoko was the site of a black market. Now, Ameyoko (candy store alley) is a an eclectic collection of shops underneath a section of JR train tracks. Ameyoko still seems a teeny bit shady due to it’s location, past history and the amazing bargains that are available; exactly what I was looking for. It was a rich experience and there were things to see everywhere. There were all sorts of clothing and accessory stores that had everything from suits to pre-torn jeans. I was also amused by the collection of fish vendors. In the pictures below, those red things are exactly what you think they are. Some things looked appetizing, some things bearable and others I had no desire to be under the same tent with.

There was a light sprinkle when I arrived at the market but as soon as it started to drizzle, it seemed as if everyone in the vicinity had an umbrella except me. *Pop* *Pop* *Pop* Umbrellas of all shapes, sizes and colors appeared out of nowhere. I was the only bare head in a forest of mushroom covered people. I had forgotten to bring my beanie that day so luckily I found one in a 390 yen bin instead of having to pay the 2000 yen average price.

The Ueno park is another huge park that houses many things such as an amphitheater, pond, Buddhist and Shinto shrines, and even a full fledged zoo. I only visited the pond and shrines due to the rain but on the way out, I had a delicious side of grilled squid. In a little shack, there were several squid cuts available to choose from which were then grilled and basted with a delicious sweet sauce. It was served with a chili powder and mayonnaise. A LOT of mayo. It was quite satisfying in a chewy, rubbery manner. Mmmm, Mmmm, good.

2 comments:

SaJatah said...

Haha! I wonder, do people take the tentacles home or just start munching on them there? Scrumptious. I can't believe you tried some- very brave Jared. haha

Kaelie said...

Hahaha! Oi Sage! I think I just gagged... a lot... you are very brave indeed Jared! Did they give you magical powers? They just seem so... mystical!