Thursday, December 4, 2008

Kamakura


I had my first excursion out of Tokyo. It was quite menacing, actually. It is a 67 minute train ride south from our train station to the Kamakura station. It took me a few tries trying to locate the correct train and I almost got one the wrong train not once, but three times. Thankfully, I managed to find the train that would take me where I needed to go. Phew. It was a long train ride, so I gave myself permission to fall asleep. This was a big step for me since my first few nights here after riding the trains, I had nightmares about falling asleep, missing stops and the like. It was kind of strange to see some countryside after being pent up in the city for a few weeks. When I arrived at Kamakura, I got my bearings by copying a map down in my handy dandy, NOTEBOOK! (My usual procedure when I’m in a new place.) The main attraction in Kamakura is the great Daibutsu. The humongo green Buddha statue that graces the cover of a lot of travel books. The first version of this great Buddha was completed in 1243 but then destroyed by a storm in 1247. In 1252, the statue was rebuilt by the same people who built the first one, Lady Inada and the Priest Joko. All of the funding for this project was raised by Joko and came from devotees. No governmental money or official financial aid was used in the building of this statue. The statue is about 12 meters tall and 12 meters deep. My favorite part of the Buddha was his hands. They were very serene and dignified. Pictures don’t do it justice.

4 comments:

SaJatah said...

Ok, my interest's tickled. Was there a fee or any contribution stands that took in money from visiting tourists? After so many hundreds of years pulling back in the construction costs wouldn't matter anymore to Lady Inada and Priest Joko, but I'm just curious to know if the government is banking in on it now as a national landmark. And how far is the statue from town? It looks beautifully secluded from your photos.

Kaelie said...

Wow! Lots of blogging! It's so good to read about your adventures! Perhaps you should write a book! Ooo! Haha, well, that's up to you... It's so neat to think that you're in what seems to be a whole new world, but in reality, we're still on the same planet! What an amazing place God has graciously given us to inhabit, take care of, and explore! :) You're a lucky man/boy Jared! Live it up! <3

Nate Thatcher said...

Dude that's freaking awesome! Japan's so awesome. I imagine green rainy countrysides filled with vegetation and suddenly you ascend a hill and find this giant green Buddha! Man, what I wouldn't give.

HCP said...

I think you are totally right about his hands! they are awesome! they kind of draw you in. he looks so big and mighty but so giving and loving with the look of his hands. all your pictures absolutely amaze me, and all of your other guests! love ya lots and keep learning and having fun!